The US Department of Energy has a site dedicated to helping you get the best gas mileage out of your car. Who knew our government had an "official source for fuel economy information"?
Among the suggestions?
- Put away the lead foot both when driving and breaking. This can save you $.18-$1.16 PER gallon. Do the math on THAT one...and that's just the first suggestion.
- Slow down. Every 5 miles that you go over 60 costs you an additional $.24 per gallon. Looks like Grandma may have the right idea after all!
- Clean your car. The more you have in your car, the more you'll pay in gas. Every 100lbs you remove will save you $.04-$.07/gallon.
- Don't idle which does nothing more than waste gas.
- Drive in overdrive. It lowers your engine speed saving you gas.
- Cruise when you're on the highway. It will keep you at a constant speed which saves you money.