If you live in an area with Publix, nothing beats their price-match and coupon-acceptance policies. For the rest of us, there is Wal-Mart. (Meijer also price-matches, but only on General Merchandise items.)
Those who don't have the time or desire to figure out Catalina deals or go from store to store often just stick to price-matching and using coupons at Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart will price match on pretty much any item in their store. Here's an outline of their policy:
- They will not match b1g1f items, loss-leaders, (Those items typically on the front page which are sold at a loss to try & get you in the store.), % off, $ off or free items. Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds. Their policy is pretty standard & is actually a good one.
- They will match the sale price for generic items from another store on their generic items.
- They will price match items in an ad...however...they will also match non-ad items if they can call & verify that is the current price on that item at another store. Typically, they'll only do this on big items like computers & cameras and such.
- They will match produce sales.
- They DO typically match even loss-leaders. As I've been told, that restriction is there to allow them to limit should they feel it necessary on loss-leaders.
If you are only going to shop sales and use coupons at one store, then I'd recommend you go to Wal-Mart...but take your ads from the other stores with you so you can get those sale items at Wal-Mart.
What's next? I've had a lot of people ask me how to organize their coupons. Those who have come to my couponing classes have seen first-hand all of the different ways one could organize their coupons. The methods are so varied, it will be easier to describe each method in a separate blog post. Those will follow soon.
If you have any specific questions about couponing, send them my way.
Be sure to check out the previous posts in this series:
Using Coupons and Saving Money on Groceries Part 1: Don't Be a Brand Snob
Using Coupons and Saving Money on Groceries Part 2: Know Your Coupon Policies
Using Coupons and Saving Money on Groceries Part 3: What if I Have a Problem?
Using Coupons and Saving Money on Groceries Part 4: Store Cards
Using Coupons and Saving Money on Groceries Part 5: Where Do I Find Coupons?